Big Jesus‘ combination of 90’s style melodic vocals with heavy, fuzzy guitar tones makes them a pretty irresistible rock band for anyone who’s sick of the same old pop-punk sound.
“Lock & Key is a song that had been sitting in our demo bank for a while and collected some dust. Matt Hyde was insistent that we put it on the album and we made some really cool changes in pre production with him. When writing for it, we really just wanted to make a big atmospheric groove for people to nod their head to.”
Having been a band since 2009, Big Jesus have only officially released one 4 track EP so far, and that was back in 2011. Since then, they have been asked to play local shows, then bigger shows, and their success has snowballed since. Now, they find themselves managed by MDDN (set up by Good Charlotte’s Benji and Joel Madden) and about to embark on tours with Good Charlotte and Citizen.
Oneiric translates as “relating to dreams or dreaming.” While it’s a pretty cryptic title for their album, once translated it fits perfectly with Big Jesus’ dreamy, nostalgic sound. Their debut album, Oneiric, was recorded in Los Angeles and produced by Matt Hyde (Deftones, Slayer, Monster Magnet, Sum 41, Alkaline Trio).
The band have some UK dates coming up this month:
- 22nd Cardiff, Clwb Ifor Bach (with Citizen)
- 23rd Southampton, Joiners (with Citizen)
- 24th Brighton, Sticky Mike’s Frog Bar (with Citizen)
- 25th London, Lexington (with Citizen)
- 26th Nottingham, Red Room – Headline show – FREE ENTRY
- 27th Birmingham, Institute (with Good Charlotte)
- 29th Leeds, Brudenell Games Room – Headline show – FREE ENTRY
- 31st Newcastle, Think Tank Social – Headline Show – FREE ENTRY
Oneiric is out September 30th via Mascot Label Group / Mascot Records. Pre order it here.